Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Social Mirror, 1983



It's interesting to notice how the alteration of an everyday object has the power to transform it into a symbol that points to something other than what it is.

Ukeles' Social Mirror is inspiring in the simple way it shows us ourselves in relation to our own waste. Without the tiresome preaching of other works that come to mind.

Her work, although started in the 70's, does not feel dated to me, but actually more relevant than ever in today's throw-away mentality (I can only speak about what I witness here in New York: no caring about outside spaces, constant littering, and everyone walking over the garbage in the streets).

The piece itself was exhibited again at the Armory Show in New York by Ronald Feldman Gallery. Although I'm sure it made an impression, I don't think the context of the Armory Show was necessarily as powerful as the context of NYC streets in the 80's (considering the US economy, the social and political views of the time, etc)

The more I read about her work, the more I am inspired to follow in a similar line. I do think about the aestheticizing of public cleaning projects, but when I'm on my hands and knees the last thing that comes to mind is aesthetics.

But I do love the mirrored truck, and I do love the title.

No comments: